Can I prevent my daughter from moving to her father's home in CT?

Elizabeth (Guest) on Friday, October 26 2012, 08:52 AM
My daughter and I live in MA. She says she is going to move to her father's in CT. We have joint custody but I have physical custody. Her father hasn't been to visit in 3 months and barely calls. Can I legally prevent her from moving?
1 response Add Yours
    Replied by Attorney Eric Schutzbank on Friday, October 26 2012, 08:56 AM · Hide · #1
    You can deny your daughter's request. In the event that her Father was to file a Complaint for Modification (change of court orders) and Removal (residency outside of Massachusetts), the Court could appoint a Guardian Ad Litem to investigate. That GAL would speak with your daughter and could take her preference into account. That being said, it is not her choice. The Court looks to the best interests of the child standard should such a matter come before it.
Your Response

We may already have your answer

Search our Legal Forum for answers to your MA law questions.