My condo in Newton was damaged due to a fire in neighbor’s unit.

Richard (Guest) on Wednesday, October 10 2012, 09:11 AM
I live in a Condo in Newton and my unit has been damaged by water due to fire in our neighbor’s unit. I received an estimate from the Association’s Insurance company and am not satisfied with the estimate since it does not provide adequate compensation to cover expenses for necessary repairs. What should I do to get better settlements?
1 response Add Yours
    Replied by Attorney Alan Fanger on Tuesday, October 16 2012, 11:28 AM · Hide · #1
    Here are a few options available to you: (a) you can obtain your own estimate (though it should come from a highly reputable contractor, preferably one who has done work for insurance companies) ; (b) you could hire a “public adjuster” (a claims rep who would represent your interests but who would probably charge 10 percent of the payment as his/her fee, so perhaps only worth it if there’s a great deal of damage); or (c) you could hire an attorney on an hourly basis (this would be in conjunction with option (a).
Your Response

We may already have your answer

Search our Legal Forum for answers to your MA law questions.