My Contractor Abandoned Our Massachusetts Home Renovation Project. What are My Rights?

Sean P. (Guest) on Friday, November 01 2013, 09:01 AM
I'd like to know what remedies I have under Massachusetts law.
1 response Add Yours
    Replied by Attorney Alan Fanger on Friday, November 15 2013, 05:05 PM · Hide · #1
    Your rights as a Massachusetts homeowner against a contractor depend on whether the contractor was registered with the state of Massachusetts as a Home Improvement Contractor. If the contractor is in fact registered, you have two very important rights:

    1. You are automatically eligible to have your dispute submitted to arbitration through the Mass. Executive Office of Consumer Affairs. The arbitration is not free of charge but the arbitrator’s rates are much lower than in normal arbitration (about $100 per hour per party). Arbitration is informal and much faster than having your case in court.

    2. You are automatically entitled to apply to the Home Improvement Contractor Guaranty Fund for up to $10,000 in relief in the event that you obtain a judgment or arbitration award and the contractor is found to be uncollectible or bankrupt.

    You may visit my website to learn more:
Your Response

We may already have your answer

Search our Legal Forum for answers to your MA law questions.