When can I stop paying child support under Massachusetts law?

Robert (Guest) on Thursday, November 08 2012, 04:03 PM
My son will graduate from college in the spring. If he doesn’t get a job, he won’t be able to pay rent on his apartment in Worcester. I’m going to try to help him as much as possible and would like to know if I can I stop paying the court ordered child support when he graduates or must I file something with the Worcester Courts? The Divorce Settlement Agreement says kids are emancipated upon completion of a four year degree. He may need my help paying his rent.
1 response Add Yours
    Replied by Attorney Michael Franklin on Thursday, November 08 2012, 04:16 PM · Hide · #1
    Minor children principally dependent on the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent while attending college on a full time basis become emancipated upon graduating from college. However, if they have not graduated, they are considered legally emancipated on their 23rd birthday regardless of whether they graduate or not. You will no longer be legally liable to pay child support beyond graduation. Therefore, yes, you may stop paying child support upon your child graduating from college
Your Response

We may already have your answer

Search our Legal Forum for answers to your MA law questions.